Saturday, August 1, 2009

Shock And Awe ...

As I mentioned to you yesterday, the water tests for our new well revealed a few issues. One of them was the presence of iron bacteria.

Iron bacteria don't pose a health risk, but they are a nuisance. They oxidize iron dissolved in water, which in turn can make the water smell unpleasant. The produced iron oxide can clog filters, and cause discoloration of the water.

So I went to war today, armed with bleach, a bucket, and a garden hose. The process is called shocking your well, and for those of you who are not familiar with it, here is how it works:

You pour a lot of chlorine down your well, connect the garden hose to your water pressure tank, and stick it down the well. Then you let the water run from the pressure tank back into the well for about two hours, which ensures that the chlorine penetrates the entire water column in the well. After about 24 hours you drain a lot of water out of the system to get rid of the chlorine.


Our water smells like a swimming pool right now, and taking a shower means you really get clean.

Dirk

1 comment:

Obat sirosis hati said...

may be useful for all, helpful article once and pardon me permission to share also here :

Cara menyembuhkan batuk menahun
Cara menyembuhkan gerd
Cara menyembuhkan tumor testis